Email is one of the most popular modes of entry for hackers. It offers a way to get directly in front of millions of people with the click of a mouse. And a cleverly disguised email can mean a user mistakenly downloads a dangerous attachment or clicks a link to a malicious website.
Securing email properly is a challenge for many small businesses. It’s often a “Goldilocks” dilemma; some email security software is too strong and blocks legitimate emails in addition to spam and phishing, and some software is too weak, not properly blocking the threats it should.
At Unity IT, we’ve been searching to find an email security software that was “just right.” One that was powerful enough to block known and new threats, while allowing through the legitimate emails that companies need to operate daily.
We finally found that perfect email security solution in the form of Proofpoint, a platform that offers enterprise-class cybersecurity for small businesses.
Why is Email Security So Important for Small Businesses?
Hackers are counting on small businesses having less IT security than larger businesses, and many of them go after that “low hanging fruit.” They send millions of emails out daily just waiting for someone to take their bait.
66% of malware is installed via a malicious email attachment.
Phishing emails continue to be the #1 cause of data breaches, taking down large and small businesses alike. This means that reliable email security should be a #1 priority for companies that want to protect themselves and their digital assets.
Types of attacks that can be lurking in every employee’s email inbox are:
- Remote control scripts
Just one accidental click can mean thousands of dollars in costs, lost productivity, and missed business opportunities, something that hits small businesses harder than large corporations.
How to Protect Your Business with Proofpoint
Powerful Enterprise-Class Security Tools
Small businesses care just as much as larger companies about their data security, and Proofpoint gives them the same tools for less that larger corporations use. Including features like:
- Enhanced cybersecurity with spam and phishing detection
- Dynamic sandboxing of URLs and dangerous attachments
- Policy-enforced encryption and data loss prevention
- Social media account protection (an increasingly important feature!)
Easy to Use with Automatic Reporting
Unity IT makes it easy for businesses to implement Proofpoint. It’s a cloud-based solution with no hardware or software to install. Updates are made automatically, so the system always has the most recent threat information and intuitive reporting gives you both a big picture and granular breakdown of threats to your system.
The simple to use interface offers:
- Visibility into threats targeting your business
- Robust filter rules engine for both incoming and outgoing email
- Per-user controls and quarantine access
Tools to Keep Your Business Going
Most companies rely on critical email communications on a daily basis, and when there’s an interruption, it can mean lost business. Proofpoint was designed with business continuity in mind and offers the following features to ensure your communications keep flowing.
- 24/7 emergency inbox, providing users email access even when the normal mail environment is unavailable
- Instant replay to send or resend messages to your messaging server for 30 days
- Email spooling and failover, which captures emails that can’t be delivered so they’re not lost
Keep Email Archived for a Decade
Trying to keep all those emails and attachments you get every year on your computer can mean software problems and a slow device. With Proofpoint, you have a secure cloud-based storage system for all emails and attachments for 10 years.
This archive is user searchable and exportable, and you can easily forward an archived email back to your inbox if you need it.
Works with Office 365
Proofpoint works alongside the popular Office 365 cloud-based office productivity software. Ways that it compliments this office suite includes:
- Protecting against both malware and non-malware threats
- Preventing impostor email threats
- Sandboxing malicious URLS and attachments
- Protecting against compliance violations and data loss
- Providing 24/7 emergency inbox in the event of an email outage
Proofpoint Packages & Features
- Beginner Package
- Signature-based Anti Virus
- Spam Filtering
- Imposter Protection
- Credential Phishing Protection
- Outbound Filtering
- Zero Hour Threat Detection
- Emergency Inbox (Access Email During Server Outage)
- Email Spooling (Hold Email During Server Outage)
- Email Logs
- Active Directory Sync
- Business Package (All Features Above +)
- Advanced Package (All Features Above +)
- Email Encryption
- Social Media Account Protection
- Pro Package (All Features Above +)
- Tamper-Proof Offsite Archive
- Search and eDiscovery
- Unlimited Storage (10yr Archive)
Proofpoint Essentials Overview